Beauty

January 20, 2007
Ok, as long as I don’t get robbed, harassed by the police, lost on the metro, forced to drink poisoned vodka, become apart of some bartender/sleazy guy conspiracy to drug me and sell me into slavery, everything is going to be amazing. I like most everyone I’m here with and this city is just phenomenally beautiful. Its really truly jaw dropping even in 10 degrees below zero and gray skies. Fairy-tale like. I have 2 museums full of the world’s most renowned art collections to explore, hundreds of cathedrals to worship in, amazing blini (thin Russian pancakes with yummy stuff like strawberry jam inside) to eat, circuses, operas, ballets, symphonies…its so romantic.
I think everything is looking more optimistic now that I tackled public transportation without staff supervision. Today after touring the city and getting cell phones we were on our own. It was pretty terrifying at first. I was feeling pretty fragile and had anything gone slightly wrong I definitely would have cried, but I did just fine. I bought a ticket in Russian, was understood, got on the metro, and found my way home.
Fellow Students: Yes, there are a few who are seriously ambitious in their partying goals, but I can handle them. Although I am very happy to have met a really nice guy today who is here to study and does not plan on being smashed every night. I found much solace in him. I hope we become friends. No, I’m not going to marry him. And no, unfortunately there is no one here that I will be marrying. Everyone is so young. I’m holding out for Ireland.
(Side note: When I told a fellow student that I was 26 she looked at me all crazy and said “WHAT?? No way, I seriously thought you were like 20 or 21. Wait…really? Are you serious?” Aw yea. That makes for a good day.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home