Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Fortunate in Every Way, Part II

March 6

So the prince and I had our second conversation date. Scratch what I said before, because I definitely have a bit of a crush. I can’t help it. He’s just so entirely endearing. There really isn’t a single downside to this arrangement. I get paid to eat in a fancy restaurant and have interesting conversations with a handsome rich guy who has a genuinely delightful personality. He was sick last weekend and called me to apologize. He said, “Kate, I am so sorry you was sick.” To which I replied, “No, I wasn’t sick.” Then he said, “Oh, oh, sorry, I mean I was sick.” We went out for sushi at a Japanese restaurant that I would never even dare step into otherwise. Its funny watching waitresses falling all over them selves to wait on us hand and foot. I’m so used to being despised and ignored in all Russian establishments. He ordered an absolutely insane amount of sushi and said, “Kate, I like to eat very slowly.” I raised my eyebrows and nodded in acknowledgment. A few seconds later he said, “Wait, no, I mean I like to eat very fast.” And he was right. It was all gone in about 3 minutes flat. I made fun of him for it. He then leaned way back in his tight black t-shirt, put his hands on his stomach, and spent the rest of the evening lounging. It made for a slightly awkward conversation angle, but it was sort of adorable. He’s like a big huge kid. We were sitting next to each other on a big bench and I had to turn way around to see him. This seems to be a European thing. I’ve noticed it a lot. If there are two people, they always sit on the same side of the table instead of across from each other. Now that we’re a little more comfortable with each other, he’s become a bit of a flirt. I told him I would be out of town for the next couple of weekends, and he said in a pouty sort of voice, “Kate, please call me when you are back, because I miss you”. Oh goodness. I realize that sounds borderline creepy, but just take my word for it that he’s completely harmless. I just laughed. I think he said it more for his own amusement than anything. But I am afraid I am not immune to his ridiculous charms. I feel like I’m in a movie. The next scene cuts to him lounging in the VIP room of an exclusive high-end club being fanned by women while making “business deals”. He asked me if I liked the ballet and he said that he wanted to “present” me tickets since his “girl-friend, who is a friend” is the first ballerina. On the way home 50 Cent came on the radio and he asked me if I understood. I said of course, but I would not translate for him because it was very bad. He got a kick out of that. He then handed me a movie he had been telling me about and said “I am presenting you this.” DVD’s today, fur tomorrow? And just to let you know, I definitely haven’t ruled out the mafia. He’s extremely vague about his work. He always says that his business English is really bad, and that he “helps people”. All I know is that he doesn’t wake up until 10 o’clock, has meetings with his partners, makes calls, and is thinking about buying a condo in Miami. If I marry him you are all invited to an all-white pool party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home