And theres a DVD player in the dashboard...
February 8, 2007
Picture me, yes, me, in Russia, coming out of the sliding glass doors of an exclusive high-end restaurant on the Neva. It is dark and snowy and all of the city lights are reflecting on the river. Picture the front door of a brand new black Benz with tinted windows being opened by a tall, striking Russian man in a long black coat, and me stepping in. You know all this talk about fairy-tales and palaces and white gloves, well, oddly enough, I was informed that this businessman is a real live Chechen Prince. I’m not kidding. We had our first conversation session today. I think it went well. He is, in fact, tall and manly. His teacher chose her adjectives well. He looks a little bit unreal, like a cartoon superhero. Fortunately, there is no chance of me falling in love with him because he has a sort-of mullet and wore a mock turtleneck with pointy shoes. We went to this incredibly swanky, red, golden, pillowy, place and I ordered the best cup of earl grey I have ever had. We talked about a lot of stuff, movies mostly. I like him. He’s pleasant and casual and funny and he has good taste in movies. He makes singy “dotodo” sounds while he’s trying to find the right words. He’s a big fan of Meryl Streep, Uma Thurman, Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, and of course Jessica Alba. He absolutely hates Paris Hylton (he actually made a strangling motion) and American pop music, which put me very much at ease. Lost in Translation is one of his top 10. I told him that we would get along just fine, but I don’t think he understood what I said. There were a few blank looks and awkward silences. A student who was here last semester said to basically consider myself a princess for the next three months, that I will be going to the absolute nicest places in St. Petersburg. I really definitely didn’t see this coming from a million miles away. I feel a little bit like God is up there pointing at me and getting a good hearty belly laugh out of the deal. Do you think it will be a problem that the dressiest thing I have is a corduroy skirt? (Any conversation topic ideas would be greatly appreciated.)
Picture me, yes, me, in Russia, coming out of the sliding glass doors of an exclusive high-end restaurant on the Neva. It is dark and snowy and all of the city lights are reflecting on the river. Picture the front door of a brand new black Benz with tinted windows being opened by a tall, striking Russian man in a long black coat, and me stepping in. You know all this talk about fairy-tales and palaces and white gloves, well, oddly enough, I was informed that this businessman is a real live Chechen Prince. I’m not kidding. We had our first conversation session today. I think it went well. He is, in fact, tall and manly. His teacher chose her adjectives well. He looks a little bit unreal, like a cartoon superhero. Fortunately, there is no chance of me falling in love with him because he has a sort-of mullet and wore a mock turtleneck with pointy shoes. We went to this incredibly swanky, red, golden, pillowy, place and I ordered the best cup of earl grey I have ever had. We talked about a lot of stuff, movies mostly. I like him. He’s pleasant and casual and funny and he has good taste in movies. He makes singy “dotodo” sounds while he’s trying to find the right words. He’s a big fan of Meryl Streep, Uma Thurman, Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, and of course Jessica Alba. He absolutely hates Paris Hylton (he actually made a strangling motion) and American pop music, which put me very much at ease. Lost in Translation is one of his top 10. I told him that we would get along just fine, but I don’t think he understood what I said. There were a few blank looks and awkward silences. A student who was here last semester said to basically consider myself a princess for the next three months, that I will be going to the absolute nicest places in St. Petersburg. I really definitely didn’t see this coming from a million miles away. I feel a little bit like God is up there pointing at me and getting a good hearty belly laugh out of the deal. Do you think it will be a problem that the dressiest thing I have is a corduroy skirt? (Any conversation topic ideas would be greatly appreciated.)

2 Comments:
Kate, keep writing. Its so funny reading about life in St. Petersburg, except I feel really bad that you have such an awful host mother. So when's your next night on the town with the Chechen prine? Those pics of the Neva River brought back so many memories from my History of Russia class. So many people died in there, and so many people got there water to survive throughout the wars there. And the beatiful Hermitage next to it.Keep having cool experiences!
Love,
Christopher
Ooooh, this sounds exciting. What's this chap's name? Looks like you better see if they have a Forever 21 in St. Petersberg...not that the brown corderoy skirt isn't fine, I'm just sayin'.
{Catherine}
Post a Comment
<< Home